If you would like to buy a baby carrier, it is worthwhile to obtain a lot of information beforehand. After all, it’s about getting your baby transported as comfortably and safely as possible. In our baby carrier comparison, we looked at different articles by well-known manufacturers and introduce you to the best of them. Search on your own, remember that baby carriers have different terminology. For example, these are referred to as comfort carriers, mei-tai or buckles.
The easiest way to make a decision is to follow our comparison and guide to the topic. Finally, in the second part of the text, we give you numerous tips for using and purchasing baby carriers. Find out which ones are the most popular, which advantages and disadvantages they bring, and find out about important features. That you are right with the purchase of such a baby carrier, is confirmed by the fact that about 70 percent of the world’s population carries their offspring on the stomach, on the back or on the hips. Finally, you will learn or the Stiftung Warentest has already carried out a baby carrier test. You may be curious!
Top 10 Baby Carriers
What is a baby carrier and how do you make your selection?
A classic baby carrier is a kind of backpack or a carrying device that both the mother and the father can strap on with a few simple steps. Then put the baby in and it leans comfortably between you and the baby carrier. On the market, there are also carrying aids that can be used for premature babies. Normally, newborns from a body weight of 3.5 kilograms can be transported in such a stretcher. When choosing, you should pay attention to the correct size of the stretcher. The different models are suitable for different baby sizes.
A good and secure fit is essential here, a wrong baby carrier can even adversely affect the health of the baby. Usually, the straps are set up so that you can use them almost intuitively. But it cannot hurt if you also inform yourself about it so that there are no careless mistakes.
The baby should best be aimed at the wearer’s body. Although it is possible for a baby to be carried in the direction of sight, it may in some cases lead to overstimulation of the child’s senses. In everyday life, baby carriers are extremely practical because they take up little space and can, therefore, be used on the go, on vacation and on short trips. With a baby carrier, you can easily explore even rough terrain with the baby, which is not always the case when strolling with the stroller.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a baby carrier?
Carrying a baby in a baby carrier brings several benefits to both parents and the child:
- Free hands: Keeping your baby in a stretcher keeps your hands free. You can then take care of other things in the household, while your child sleeps calmly and safely in the stretcher.
- The baby feels safe: humans are by nature the so-called ” baby carriers”. The physical closeness and hearing of the heartbeat, the smell of the familiar fragrance and the physical warmth of the mother or father make the baby feel as safe as in the womb. This will make most babies quieter as well.
- An additional bond arises: When carrying the baby on the stomach or back, an additional bond with the baby takes place, which later has a positive effect on the baby.
- A baby carrier is good for the baby’s health: A properly used baby carrier prevents hip damage. Even with existing damage, the stretcher – assuming a correct posture of the baby – can be used for therapy. The baby should then sit in the squat spreader and be held securely.
- The balance sense of the baby has trained: The constantly changing positions, the sense of balance of the little ones trained, which has a positive effect on the coordination in retrospect.
- A baby carrier is good for your health: The continuous movement while walking or standing causes the baby to experience a kind of massage effect. This can prevent colic or painful abdominal cramping or flatulence.
Besides the numerous advantages, carrying the baby in a baby carrier has certain disadvantages:
- No additional storage space available: unlike the stroller, a baby carrier offers no additional storage space. That’s why, as a parent, you need to bring along and carry extra bags that you can easily put in the trolley.
- Heat load possible: Especially in summer, it can happen that the baby carrier causes an unpleasant feeling of heat in the parents.
- When taking a walk with a baby carrier, the child sometimes has to be taken off while still sleeping comfortably in the stroller.
What is better: baby carrier or baby towel?
There are generally two major ways for the parent to carry the baby – they can use either the baby carrier or the baby towel. Of course, both carrying systems have their advantages and disadvantages.
The Baby Carrier: This way of transporting the baby appeals especially to the fathers. As a man you do not have to pay attention to any special winding technology and the system is ready for use immediately. You position the baby properly and you’re ready to start. If the partners are different sizes, you should make sure that you adjust the stretcher correctly. The fabric should, on the one hand, support the baby, on the other hand, be skin-friendly and pleasant for the skin.
Babies like to suck on the risers: That’s why you’ll be fine if you choose organic quality materials. You can choose from models that can be used both in front of the abdomen and on the back. You can easily stow a baby carrier, take it with you in a stroller or store it in a car. This keeps you flexible and you can only use the help when you need free hands. Due to a large number of baby carrying models, it is best to get an overview in a substantiated comparison.
The sling: It should be rewound with each use, paying attention to the correct sitting position and posture of the baby. This type of baby is mainly women. The provided slings are available in different lengths, thicknesses, and qualities. For a baby sling, especially organic fabrics are particularly suitable if your baby should suck on the cloth. For safety, the material should be strong so it will not tear when worn. Slings have a distinct advantage that you can fold them together relatively small and take them everywhere.
You can use it at any time to wrap the baby and have it immediately hands-free. In addition, the slings are usually cheaper than baby carriers. Before a sling is used, you should be instructed as a parent in a good wrapping technique. This is very important because otherwise mistakes can creep in that could harm the health of the baby and the wearers themselves. There are different wrapping techniques and different positions for the baby, which you can use as needed.
How to find the right baby carrier for yourself and your child
Many parents ask themselves the following question: “Which carrying system should I choose for my baby?” The answer to this question is not easy to answer and depends on many aspects. There is no such thing as a perfect baby carrier and it is not possible to determine in advance that this or that carrier will suit you best. Decisive in the choice is ultimately the subjective feeling of the wearer as well as the well-being of the child in the stretcher.
It often happens that a child just does not want to be carried in one stretcher, but with another stretcher, it does not have a problem. This also affects the wearer: one wearing aid can be perceived as being uncomfortable, while another model is much more comfortable to wear.
To help you make a decision, here are some key things that can help you:
- Simplicity and speed when putting on a stretcher: If you want the baby carrier to be put into operation as quickly as possible, you should opt for one of the comfort straps. Especially in the case when only one person carries the child in the future, these wearers rarely need to be adjusted and therefore can be used quickly. However, a little more patient can find the right product for themselves under half-buckle models and Mei-Tais wear. Knotting the shoulder straps will help you to get along quickly. With a few simple steps, the matter is done.
- Size or age/weight of the baby: The size of the baby carrier should match the age or the size of your child. There are models of different manufacturers, which are available in different sizes and differ for example in the web widths, the padding of the shoulder straps, the length of the back part, etc. from each other. If you want to carry very small babies in the stretcher, you should be careful to order a baby carrier or even certain accessories such as Sitzverkleinerer and bands for bar reduction, order along.
- The personal taste is also important: The stretcher should also offer something for the eye if you like to use it often. But thanks to the large selection and a large number of providers, you will definitely find what you are looking for.
Important functions and useful features of baby carriers
The number of baby carriers on the market is large, so you have the best chance of finding the right product. In terms of quality, functionality, features and the price-performance ratio, there are hardly any limits. It is best to look at the large stretcher comparison at the beginning of this article. In principle, however, these functions should occur with each baby carrier: Make sure that the carrier has special padding in the pelo and back area, which provides more softness and more comfort when lying down and sleeping.
The upholstery should be both soft and cuddly, on the other hand as light as possible. Another advantage is a special lacing in the upper and in the lower area. Such a feature ensures that your child lies well and safely on the side and does not fall out. In this way, it can also like to “look around” what children love especially when on the one hand they are very close to mom or daddy’s stomach, on the other hand, they also notice the many things around them.
At what age can you use a baby carrier?
Most abdominal gowns are recommended only from the age of about 6 to 8 months. As a rule, stretcher use without an adjustable bar or neonatal insert should only be used if the child can sit alone without help from others.
This is how to best care for baby carriers
In the end, you can treat a baby carrier like a piece of clothing because it is mostly made of fabric and can, therefore, be washed like a garment. Most models can be washed normally in the washing machine. Just pay attention to the care instructions of the manufacturer and already nothing can go wrong.